Whether it’s the Holiday Season, summertime or just anytime — it’s never the wrong time to prepare your guest bedroom for expected guests or even the unexpected guest.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure for details.
When someone comes to stay at my home, I like to make them feel as comfortable as possible. If you’re with me on this, I’ve got you covered!
I was sure my house was set up for guests.
I thought I had all the essentials — a guest bedroom with a bathroom nearby, lots of pillows, clean sheets and folded towels at the end of the bed.
What more was necessary?
Then I read, that “they” say to spend a night in your own guest bedroom and you’ll quickly see what you’re missing — so I did as I was told.
Well… now I can safely say “they” are right. My guest bedroom was missing plenty.
Let me save you the time and trouble of sleeping out of your cozy bed like I did. All you have to do is print out my list of the essentials, get a cup of coffee, or better yet — get a glass of wine, check off what you already have, then cozy up and shop in the comfort of your own home. I’ve provided all the links to everything below.
Of course, you can still use the list below even if you don’t have a room that’s specifically dedicated to guests.
It doesn’t matter if your guests are sleeping on a bed, a pull-out couch or even an air mattress. You can gather these items together and place them in whatever space your guests will be sleeping. Believe me — it will be appreciated!
- 2 pillows per guest
- I’m sure one would do, but it’s always nice to go the extra step.
- 2 pillows per guest
- Have a box handy on the night table.
- If you have tissues…. you need a wastebasket.
- Night table or side table
- Just a little place to put a phone, eyeglasses, a drink…whatever.
- Water bottle or Crystal Carafe
- A good and useful accessory for the night table.
- Power strip
- Most people these days have multiple devices.
- iPhone charger with a long cord
- A nice thought in case your outlet is not close enough to the bed or guests forget their own.
- Lamp for the night table
- Give your guests the opportunity to read or get some work done before going to sleep, just like they would be doing in their own home.
- Notepad and Pen
- Just because — why not?
- Full-length mirror
- Often out of town guests are visiting for a special event. With a full-length mirror, they can dress and see their entire outfit. If you don’t have space to hang one on the wall, putting one on the back of the door is a great option.
- Luggage rack
- These are great to have. This way your furniture doesn’t get ruined, but if you don’t have one, a bench, chair or ottoman can serve the same purpose. Have a clear spot available where your guests can lay their suitcase down and open it all the way.
- Blackout curtains
- Certainly not a necessity — just a nicety.
- A few empty drawers and some hangers in the closet
- It’s important that guests be able to hang up certain items of clothing, and it’s nice to be able to unpack a little into a drawer if they are staying more than one night.
- A card with your Wi-Fi password on it
- Place it inside or on the night table, so your guests aren’t twiddling their thumbs at night if they forgot to ask you for it earlier.
Decide which one you like best, print it out, and you’re all set.
Click here to get The Essentials for The Ultimate Guest Bedroom list in a printable form. You can mark it up and be sure to get everything you want and need from the list.
If you get all or most of these items for your guest bedroom, you can be sure you are all prepped to set up your ultimate guest bedroom!
Have I missed anything? Do you have any other niceties that you do for your guests?
Some people put out chocolates or flowers. Comment below to let me know what you do to make your guests feel special.
P.S. I’d love to connect with you — Don’t forget to follow me on Social Media.